The True Meaning of a Sponsor!
For awhile now, I have been fascinated by the use of the expression, “In God’s Hands” in the A.A. Big Book. Four times, in very significant ways, this expression is used:
Pg. 80, 100, 120 and 124.
- ‘. . . he came to the conclusion that it was better to take those risks than to stand before his Creator guilty of such ruinous slander. He saw that he had to place the outcome in God’s hands or he would soon start drinking again, and all would be lost anyhow. He attended church for the first time in many years.’ (A.A. Big Book, Pg. 80)
- ‘Both you and the new man must walk day by day in the path of spiritual progress. If you persist, remarkable things will happen. When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us when we put ourselves in God’s hands were better than anything we could have planned.’ (Ibid, Pg. 100)
- ‘If a repetition is to be prevented, place the problem, along with everything else, in God’s hands.’ (Ibid, Pg. 120)
- ‘. . . Each member of it should be only too willing to bring former mistakes, no matter how grievous, out of their hiding places. Showing others who suffer how we were given help is the very thing which makes life seem so worth while to us now. Cling to the thought that in God’s hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have, the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. (Ibid, Pg. 124)
Recently, I heard someone put sponsorship in perspective! I have come to believe that the job of a sponsor is, first, to take our hand and walk with us, teaching us what they know and helping us to find a right relationship with God. Then, they help us put our hand into God’s hands and hold it there until we are unblocked and comfortable walking with our hand snuggly in God’s hands. After that, we are accountable to God and our sponsors are but a witness.
As I journey through the Bible, I have stumbled across some precious verses that speak of God’s hand. They are such a great comfort. It all started in Exodus 33:22 when God told Moses, ‘ . . . I will put you in the cleft of the rock and will cover you there with My hand.’ Suddenly, my eyes were opened to the many places in the bible that speak about this same picture, God’s Hand!
Here’s what the bible says about God’s Hand:
- If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. (Psalm 37:23-24)
- The righteous and the wise and the their works are in the hand of God. (Ecclesiastes 9:1)
- For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, ‘Fear not; I will help thee.’ (Isaiah 41:13)
- Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands. . . (Isaiah 49:16)
- . . . “On the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt. . . (Hebrews 8:9)
- Now the Egyptians are men and not God, And their horses are flesh and not spirit; So the Lord will stretch out His Hand. . . (Isaiah 31:3)
Lord, thank You for providing a guide, a sponsor and Your word to teach us Your ways. Put our hands into Your hands and give us the courage to know You better and walk rightly, safely in Your Hands!